Fwd: Corrected diagram and description for SMB-Direct (RDMA) support in Samba

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed May 21 12:48:15 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-21 at 14:23 -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:

> > > What about VFS modules that don't have file descriptors?
> >
> > FD-passing will be only used for the tcp connection
> > not for open file handles.
> >
> > So VFS modules will just work fine.
> >

> So what actually creates the RDMA queue, and does the processing in this
> model?
>
> Can someone show me the event trace for read/write?

I am not sure that this is what you are asking:
The chain of events for bringing up a smb-direct-daemon
and establishing a proxy channel and mmap area between
smbd-process for a client and this (one) smbd-direct-daemon
is skeched in the earlier mails in this thread and the
thread "SMB3 and RDMA".

then the one smb-direct-daemon does all the RDMA connections
and speaks smb-direct. The rdma read and write calls are then
using addresses from the mmap-ed area from the corresponding
smbd child process.

I need to write all this up in greater detail in the wiki,
but please read up on these two recent threads.

Cheers - Michael