Fwd: Corrected diagram and description for SMB-Direct (RDMA) support in Samba

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:14:35 MDT 2014

Hi Tom,

I am seeking clarity on something we are arguing about, again, WRT
multi-connect and thus SMB over RDMA.

Attached is a diagram I have drawn of how I think things will work.

>>> The clientGUID is already available in the
>>> NegProt request, so we can look for the client's
>>> smbd by clientGUID already here, and have c1 do
>>> the session setup.
>>
>> Ummm, that is true. I have checked the SMB2 document. That being the
>> case, we really should sanction the small layering violation and have
>> the SMBDirect daemon look in the NegProt request and send the
>> connection to the correct smbd. Why mess around with starting a
>> temporary smbd for one request/response pair?
>
> Because for multi-channel TCP connections we intend to do
> the same: Here smbd forks a child for the new connection and
> this child transfers the connection to the target smbd after
> doing the initial processing looking onto negprot.

Essentially, the claim here is that we can determine which session to
bind the new connection to simply by looking at the ClientGUID in the
NegProt.

I don't think this is correct, and I believe that this came up at SDC last year.

I believe that we need to use the sessionID in the SessionSetup to do
this binding because a client can have multiple sessions with a
server.

Can you cast light on this please?

--
Regards,