[Samba] RFC2307 on a Samba DC - HowTo

Günter Kukkukk linux at kukkukk.com
Sun May 18 20:53:32 MDT 2014

Am 18.05.2014 19:36, schrieb Marc Muehlfeld:
> Hello,
>
> I've finished a new HowTo this week (please proofread):
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_RFC2307_on_a_Samba_DC
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Hi Marc,

thanks a lot - great new info! :-)

I'm not 100% sure atm, but i think some further clarifications regarding
  ${NETBIOSNAME} aka "Netbios Name", ...
are needed.

At the top you use:
-------------------------------------
Server information used in this HowTo

Inside this HowTo, we will be using the following configuration/settings:

Domain Controller Name: DC1          <==== !!! smb.conf: "netbios name = DC1" ?
Installation Directory: /usr/local/samba/
LDAP Domain DN:         DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com
Netbios Name:           samdom       <==== !!! what is meant here - a "netbios hostname" or a "netbios domain"?
NIS Domain:             samdom
--------------------------------------

Later down in section
--------------------------------------
Extending the Schema for NIS Extensions

# sed -i -e 's/${DOMAINDN}/DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com/g' \
         -e 's/${NETBIOSNAME}/samdom/g' \    <==== is that really right?
         -e 's/${NISDOMAIN}/samdom/g' \
         /tmp/ypServ30.ldif
--------------------------------------

In "ypServ30.ldif" this replacement is done then in many places:

msSFU30MasterServerName: ${NETBIOSNAME}     <=== is that expected ?

The following command will list some *basic* domain infos:
samba-tool domain info li4771-131

Forest           : addlz.kukkukk.com
Domain           : addlz.kukkukk.com
Netbios domain   : ADDLZ
DC name          : li4771-131.addlz.kukkukk.com
DC netbios name  : LI4771-131
Server site      : Default-First-Site-Name
Client site      : Default-First-Site-Name

to get some relationship to the "legacy NETBIOS names".

Cheers, Günter