SMB3 and RDMA support

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sun May 18 13:59:28 MDT 2014

On 2014-05-18 at 12:51 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher
> <metze at samba.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Right, I will follow up with details soon (txt, wiki, git).
> >> I'm looking forward to collaborating and getting this up to speed!
> >
> > I just found that there's a ibv_fork_init() function.
> > Maybe there's some hope that we don't need an external daemon.
>
> Yes, I think that is what it does mean. See here, for example:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.rdma/11235

Well, this reads:

  Even with the libibverbs fork support, the expecVtation is that
  all RDMA stuff will be done from the master process.  All that
  the ibv_fork_init() call does is trigger tracking so that the
  address space that is used for RDMA isn't mapped into the child
  process at all.

So for me, this sounds rather as if this fork support does NOT
give us what we need...

Cheers - Michael