wellknown and uid/gid interactions on multi DC samba AD domain

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Wed May 14 05:32:50 MDT 2014

On 14/05/14 11:23, Daniele Dario wrote:

> On mar, 2014-05-13 at 17:45 +0200, steve wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 17:14 +0200, Daniele Dario wrote:
>>> Hi Steve,

>>> thanks for the tips.
>>> Can you please clarify what does "add uidNumber and gidNumber" ...?
>>> How do I do that? Is there a specific command (samba-tool or something
>>> like that) or do I use ldbmodify? Where can I find some example?
>> You can use the UNIX tab in ADUC, ldbmodify or ldbedit.
>> ldbmodify is quicker once you have a template ldif and it works for
>> groups too. If you have only a few users, go for ldbedit. You can choose
>> your own editor too if you don't like vi. Oh and DON'T edit or add to
>> entries directly. Point the edits at sam.ldb
>>
>>> Than can you make an example for uids having this from getent passwd
>>>
>>> myadmin:x:1000:1000:myadmin,,,:/home/myadmin:/bin/bash
>>> SAITEL\Administrator:*:0:100::/home/SAITEL/Administrator:/bin/bash
>>> SAITEL\Guest:*:3000002:3000003::/home/SAITEL/Guest:/bin/bash
>>> SAITEL\krbtgt:*:3000027:100::/home/SAITEL/krbtgt:/bin/bash
>>>
>> Assuming that these are the values that you have added to the directory
>> yourself then this looks fine except that I wouldn't want a windows
>> domain administrator having root access on my DC!
>>
>> If these are winbind mappings then you'll have to add them as uidNumber
>> and gidNumber yourself. Retain the numbers.
>>
>>> and getent groups
>>>
>>> myadmin:x:1000:
>>> SAITEL\Enterprise Read-Only Domain Controllers:*:3000042:
>>> SAITEL\Domain Admins:*:3000011:
>>> SAITEL\Domain Users:*:100:
>>>
>> Yeah. Also OK. I'd move Domain Users away from 100. Again, it looks as
>> though these are winbind mappings. Add them to the groups as gidNumber.
>>
>>> Thanks for your kind help,
>>> Daniele.
>>>

> Hello Steve,
> thanks for you help.
>
> I added to all groups listed with getent group | grep SAITEL the
> gidNumber: nnnn (except for Domain Controllers because it seems to be a
> container and not a group am I right?).
> Than I also updated all my users with uidNumber and gidNumber (I added
> only the gidNumber of Domain Users to every account).
>
> Now as you said the uids/gids are the same on the 2 DCs so again thanks.
>
> I have a question about the sysvol: I noticed that the group of the
> sysvol folder is different on the two DCs.
> On the 1st DC (4.1.0):
> [root at kdc01:locks]# ls -n sysvol/
> total 8
> drwxrwx---+ 4 0 4 4096 Sep 24  2012 saitel.loc
>
> On the 2nd DC (4.1.7):
> [root at kdc03:locks]# ls -n sysvol/
> total 8
> drwxrwx---+ 4 0 3000000 4096 May  8 16:18 saitel.loc
>
> [root at kdc03:locks]# wbinfo -G 3000000
> S-1-5-32-544
> [root at kdc03:locks]# wbinfo -s S-1-5-32-544
> BUILTIN\Administrators 4
>
> If I read it correctly BUILTIN\Administrators should be mapped as 4 so
> same as on the other one.
>
> Did I forgot something?
>
> Regards,
> Daniele.

Hi, you never posted just what distro you are using (or if you did, I
missed it), but mapping Administrators to '4' is not a good idea, I
learnt the hard way with 'Domain Users' !!

On Debian based distro's '4' is the adm group, so mapping to this, would
seem a good idea, but not when you really start to think about it. If
you use winbind with the 'ad' backend you will have to set the domain
range to start at '0' to pull these low end users/groups, not a good idea.

I do not recommend mapping the majority of windows groups with
gidNumber's, except for Domain Users & Domain Admins, and I would also
suggest that you decide on just where your range is going to start
(4000001 is a good place) then map the two windows groups to the start
of this range.

Rowland