Join samba 4.1.7 as member server issues

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 08:02:05 MDT 2014

On gio, 2014-05-08 at 14:03 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 08/05/14 13:33, Daniele Dario wrote:
> > Hi Rowland,

> >> Hi, yes you need to start winbind separately from the smbd & nmbd
> >> daemons, so you need to find/write another init script.
> >>
> >> As for what is wrong, this could one of several things (or several of
> >> several things ;) )
> >>
> >> Are all the daemons actually running ? run 'ps ax | grep [s]mbd' and 'ps
> >> ax | grep [n]mbd' and 'ps ax | grep [w]inbind', they all should return
> >> something.
> > Yes they where all running.
> >
> >> If you are using the ad idmap backend, do your AD users have both
> >> uidNumber's & gidNumber's ? Do your AD groups have gidNumber's ? , also
> >> are these uid & gidNumber's within the range that you set in smb.conf ?
> >>
> >> Rowland
> >>
> > I'll try to investigate but 'cause I need to set up another fileserver
> > ASAP to move the shares I have on an old samba 3.4.7 server joined to
> > the domain I think I'll use one of the DCs also as fileserver.
> >
> > If I remember right you where one of those who where discussing about
> > posixaccount and posixgroup (rfc2307) and I'm really interested on this
> > topic
> > Once I move the shares I will set-up another samba server to keep a
> > (guess via rsync) copy of these shares for backup.
> > Having distinct uid/gid on the servers will make the copy unuseful so I
> > thought that with adding objectClass posixaccount and posixgroup in my
> > company accounts I would solve this problem am I right?
> > If so can you (or somebody else) suggest a way to do that?
> > I have a copy of the scripts posted in the past (I guess from Steve)
> > that "posixify" users/groups but need to understand how to proceed:
> > - recently I noticed in the list that there are discussions on wellknown
> > (s)ids and how to properly handle them. This means that not all
> > users/groups has to be "posixified"?
> > - when I do that I guess that the shares loose the association between
> > the owners/groups the files/folders have on the fs and on AD so I need
> > chown them after the operation?
> >
> > BTW Thx for the hints.
> > Daniele.
> >
> Hi, this is slightly complicated, but here goes:
>
> If you are running a samba 3 setup, you could be running as a standalone
> server, a member of a domain or as a PDC/BDC. With all of these setups
> your users needed to be known by both samba and the unix machine i.e.
> you had to have two accounts. To further complicate the situation, these
> users would be stored in /etc/passwd and either in a samba file or LDAP.
> Groups were treated exactly the same and you had to map windows groups
> (if you used them) to unix groups, you could also have a group with the
> same name as a user. If you did use LDAP, then you needed the
> posixAccount & posixGroup objectClasses.
>
> If you now decide to upgrade to samba 4 and run as an AD DC, a lot of
> things have changed. Your users/groups are now stored only in AD, you
> [...]

My situation is that I started from scratch (with an older beta release
as test and then with rcs in production) and provisioned a new domain
with 1 samba AD DC.

Than I joined a 3.4.7 as member server (was the default on ubuntu 10.04
server) which was the fileserver than I noticed that I cannot have the
same uid/gid(s) but I was using tapes to backup my shares so I didn't
care so much about that.

Than the rfc2307 became a topic on the list and I thought that adding
another AD DC and enabling the option I could migrate the shares but I
discovered that only enabling the option didn't do the trick and tried
with Steve scripts to add the attributes. Doing that I gained the same
ids on both servers but that broke something else (thanks to the
developers who saved my ass guiding me to restore the situation).

Than I had been involved in other stuff for a couple of whiles but now I
need to finish the job.

Of course I'll take the time to read again carefully the wiki pages but
if you have some hints to point me in the right direction I'd appreciate
it.

Again thanks,
Daniele.