Join samba 4.1.7 as member server issues

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 03:12:31 MDT 2014

On mer, 2014-05-07 at 17:28 +0200, steve wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-05-07 at 17:16 +0200, Daniele Dario wrote:
> > Hi list,
> > I'm trying to join a new server (samba 4.1.7) on a samba AD domain which
> > has 2 samba 4.1.0 AD DCs.
> >
> > I started from the wiki page "Setup a Samba AD Member Server" and I'm
> > using the tarball of 4.1.7 sources downloaded from samba repository but
> > after the "Build Samba" step I start having issues.
> >
> > 1st: would it be possible that when I run make install the process
> > created also /etc/samba/{smb.conf,gdbcommands}? If yes which would be
> > the conf file used? The one in /etc/samba or the one
> > in /usr/local/samba/etc?
>
> Hi
> For a default ./configure, the latter.
>
> > 2nd: joining the domain has to be done before to start the daemons am I
> > right?
> >
> Yes.
>
> > # net ads join -U administrator
> > Enter administrator's password:
> > Using short domain name -- SAITEL
> > Joined 'SRV03' to realm 'saitel.loc'
> > No DNS domain configured for srv03. Unable to perform DNS Update.
> > DNS update failed!
>
> Try:
> - Un-join and add fqdn of the member server to the localhost line in:
> /etc/hosts
>
> - add:
> kerberos method = system keytab
> Re-join.
>
> -remove the samba package from your distribution.
>
> HTH
> Steve

Thanks Steve,
seems that I have many problems:
1. it was installed samba-common and samba-common-bin packages. Now I
removed them
2. performed net dom unjoin, tried to add fqdn in /etc/hosts, updated
smb.conf adding kerberos method = system keytab than re-joined to the
domain but after starting samba (I am using the script listed in
"InitScript SambaWiki") wbinfo -u nor wbinfo -g worked.
3. looking at which precesses are started from the "InitScript" I saw
that only smbd and nmbd are started so I manually tried to start
winbindd -D and than wbinfo -u and wbinfo .g show domain users and
groups

At this point I said ok, done but ... :-(

Trying to run id OneValidDomainUser I get
# id daniele
id: daniele: No such user

And this is my /etc/nsswitch.conf

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

so I'm again stuck.

Can somebody tell me if the winbindd daemon has to be added as one of
the daemons that has to be started by the InitScript?

And what am I doing wrong that explains the fact that id, getent and
also smbclient -L ... won't work?

Thanks in advance,
Daniele.