s3-winbindd and binding handles

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 6 23:19:02 MDT 2014

G'Day,

I've spent the day working on getting the source3 winbind to work like
the source4 one, and one idea I've been wanting to understand the
possibilities for is to use IRPC as a method to communicate to winbindd
with (either directly calling the s4 irpc stack, or even better a merged
stack based on the new s3 messaging code).

I've started to understand how the winbindd_dual stuff works, and while
the method for doing DCE/RPC on top of our winbindd pipe protocol is a
bit odd, I really like the way we use the common dcerpc binding handle
stuff on top of it.

It even looks like it might be possible to have winbindd listen on irpc,
and then forward that over the internal winbind pipe to the right target
process, which would be pretty neat and avoid a pile of marshalling and
un-marshalling.

It's been a long time since I've been seriously inside the guts of
winbindd, and I'm intrigued with what has been done recently (and not so
recently).

My current work in progress is here:
http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ad-dc-winbindd-WIP

My next goal is to have winbindd answer the SamLogon protocol the
source4 auth system uses, and to extend that to include everything we
need, particularly for the RODC.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/