The Samba copy file call flow

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon May 5 07:55:24 MDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:02 AM, GongJinrong <jinronggong at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Richard
>
>    Thanks for your advice, and I will update it to a new version, with your excellent paper "Writing a
> Samba VFS", I wrote a VFS module, but when I debug the samba code, I found a strange thing,
> the close operation always is delayed about 15 seconds when I do a file copy, can the close
> operation be called just after writing all data immediately?

This is most likely because the redirector on your client was given a
batch oplock and hangs on to the open file handle for those 15
seconds.

If you do not want this happening you have to stop handing out
oplocks. However, that will impact performance.

Is there any reason you need to see the close immediately after the last write?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe