Building VFS modules out of tree

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:26:40 MDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 16:48 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:

[Some stuff deleted]

>> The question then is, for those people who have their own VFS modules
>> and do not want to place them in the Samba source tree, how do they
>> build with waf? How to the gain access to all the configuration stuff
>> and so forth.
>
> I think you would have to patch them or at least the reference to them
> in a matching Samba source tree.

This is a very much less than ideal situation for many OEMs it seems to me.

Something that worked very well with Samba 3.5. and 3.6 is that OEMs
who only needed a VFS module or two could use RPMs or other packages
supplied by RedHat, Debian, SuSE, etc, and could then add their VFS
module as a separate RPM and could build their VFS module without
modifying the Samba source tree for the main package.

Now, with Samba 4.x it seems that they must make modifications
somewhere and no one is showing them where or how.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe