replication rename fixes in 4.1

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Mar 26 14:41:23 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-03-26 at 20:48 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> a while ago you fixed some rename problems during incoming replication.
>
> I saw a domain with 4.0 where some corruption happened.
>
> An object was created on DC1 then replicated to DC2.
> Then the DCs lost their link and the object was
> deleted on DC2 and modified on DC1.
>
> When the link came back DC2 replicated the modification
> from DC1 and renamed the object to its original dn,
> as always used the incoming dn,
> which means the "cn" and "name" attributes doesn't match the rdn
> in the dn anymore.
>
> Then the result is replicated back to DC1 and there we have the original dn
> and original "name" attribute while "cn" is the correct value with \nDEL.
>
> Is this the problem you intended to fix?

Yes, I think this was the kind of issue I was trying to fix, but this
may also be an additional issue.  The main issue was around deleted
objects un-deleting themselves (moving out from under CN=Deleted
Objects), and instead gaining their original name from the other replica
again.

> I'm currently trying to write a repair function for this into dbcheck.
> https://git.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d2711926ff42bc854d4d71fc2ea9776511325f6
> is the start to detect the situation...

Great!

http://samba.org/~abartlet/