with most recent git master smbd fails to start in AD DC mode

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Mar 22 10:03:33 MDT 2014

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:49:46AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> The big questions is why the getpwuid(3000011) is
> failing ? Where is that uid coming from ? It should
> I think have been created from a SID -> uid mapping,
> in which case it should be a valid uid to lookup
> in the password db.
>
> It looks like it's a uid being used for 'guest'.
> Is it possible a guest uid doesn't actually
> exist and can't be looked up in the password db ?
>
> If so and we want to allow that then I can make
> the getpwuid look fail a non-fatal error in that
> code path. But I'd rather figure that out first :-).

So thinking about this a little more, how does
this end up in a state where we have a guest
SID that we are mapping to a uid that can't then
be looked up in reverse as a passdb lookup ?

Under what circumstances does this occur ?
Isn't it a little dangerous ? Doesn't that
end up with essentially an 'anonymous'
guest uid which we're not keeping track
of anywhere in the system ? What if someone
added it later in /etc/passwd ?

It isn't something that's exercised in
make test otherwise the fix couldn't have
gone through autobuild.

Can you tell me exactly how you're reproducing
this ?

Cheers,

	Jeremy.