Windows 8 pro joining Samba domains, and which ones it just fails to join (those with dots in their names)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 20 15:02:04 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-03-20 at 09:43 +0100, paolo turra wrote:
> I have a Centos 6.5 x86_64 kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1 domain server with samba
> 3.6.9-167 already active. Window 7/XP join to domain regurarly but windows
> 8 professional fails. Searching in google the problem is "." (dot) in the
> domain's name, indeed with the domain name "*domain*" (without* .local*)
> windows8 joint to domain. How can i resolve the problem? Have you an idea?

Upgrade your domain to Samba 4.x and run it as an AD DC.  Support for
our 'classic' domain controller is maintained in Microsoft's code (yes
really, NT4 is long-dead but they keep the code around specifically for
Samba!), but edge cases like this are highly likely until you move to
our AD DC.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/samba-tool/domain/classicupgrade/HOWTO

http://samba.org/~abartlet/