ntdb for Samba 4.2?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Mar 20 00:48:21 MDT 2014

On 2014-03-20 at 13:44 +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Thanks for the update.
>
> My view is that it was unfortunate that the dbwrap path was taken,
> rather than transitioning to the tdb2 API on tdb, and then tdb2, but
> that boat has sailed.  I agree that dbwrap has shown itself to be a dead
> end in terms of a practical way to transition the whole project between
> databases - it covers many, but far from all the databases.

Well, I don't quite get your point here:

Firstly, dbwrap is the perfect vehicle we have to switch
between database backends that vaguely resemble the tdb API.

Of course this requires our code to be converted to dbwrap,
but that project stalled once we decided not to take ntdb
for 4.0 (and not vice versa).

Secondly, an important point to note thought, is that this conversion
would also have been required by your way of first converting
tdb to the tdb2 api! But then you would not have had the
chance to switch one DB at a time, but all in one stroke.

And then, there were good reasons not to take ntdb for
4.0, namely the findings in the performance area that led
to significant restructurings in the code very shortly before
the release of 4.0.

After the release of 4.0, the resons we originally had to
start the tdb2/ntdb project somehow became less important,
like the size limitation (less important due to data format
changes and improved vacuuming in the cluster case).
I think this is mainly, why the ntdb project has not been
driven further, even though there are many good things
in the new code/api.

Cheers - Michael