Interested in contributing to Samba through the GSoC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 13 21:21:59 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 01:46 +0000, Marta Sequeira wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a student from Portugal taking my master's degree and I have experience
> managing Samba servers and also working with Windows Active Directory,
> although I've never worked with the Active Directory capabilities
> introduced in Samba 4. But since I'm familiar with both worlds, and after
> reading your GSoC ideas, I got very interested in participating with one of
> the following ideas:
> - Make samba 4 DC Group Policies (GPO) aware
> - Add (lib)smbclient server-side copy support
>
> So I would like to know where do I go from here and what other recommended
> knowledge should I have to work on any of these projects besides the
> requirements stated in your GSoC ideas page.
>
> I know both C and Python, and I've worked with git multiple times.
>
> Any help for the initial push will be greatly appreciated!

G'Day,

The GPO project was taken on last year, and a patch was prepared, but
there really is a fair bit more that can be done in this area.  Garming
Sam has been working to clean up the resulting patch to Samba's coding
standards, for example.

(lib)smbclient server-side copy would be pretty neat, but shouldn't be
too hard a project, and I think you would probably want to do more than
just that.

I think you could aim even higher, if you wanted.  With a solid
background in C and Python and being as a Masters level, I could perhaps
find a larger part of the AD DC task for you to take on.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/