Samba project aspirant for GSOC 2014

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Tue Mar 4 04:24:03 MST 2014

Thanks for your interest Saket!

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 13:51:33 +0530, Saket Sinha wrote:

> This year I am again interested in applying for GSOC for some linux
> kernel filesystem related work. I wnet through the Samba GSOC ideas
> and the following two projects interested me-
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SoC/Ideas#VFS_change_notification_support
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SoC/Ideas#Create_a_common_uid_mapping_mechanism_for_Linux_nfs_and_cifs_vfs_clients
>
> Kindly let me know which of these is most viable and how to get
> started with these projects for this GSOC programme.

Steve and Jeff (cc'ed) would be best suited to answer your cifs.ko
questions.
In terms of where to start, I'd suggest pulling down the latest mainline
kernel source tree with Git, building a kernel with CONFIG_CIFS enabled,
and then attempting to mount a Samba or Windows share.

Documentation/filesystems/inotify.txt may be worth a read if you're
interested in change notification support.

Cheers, David