FreeBSD/ZFS/S3FS usage and development questions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 2 13:27:13 MST 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-02 at 13:12 -0600, Joe Maloney wrote:
> After cranking up the debuglevel to 10 and trying to create GPO's by hand I
> see that gpo.py is also failing at setting the acl.  It creates a directory
> under sysvol but never creates the objects.  It just seems to give up
> creating additional folders and files for the GPO maybe because it can't
> set the ACL's?  It also appears sysvolrest is doing more than I thought and
> sysvolcheck appears to be working more than I thought as well.
>
> It would seem the following are actually broken with ZFS.
>
> domain provision
> samba-tool gpo
> samba-tool ntacl
>
> I see another common warning among all of these tools.  That's in
> __init__.py line 175. is where things seem to start to break down.  At
> least after commenting some of those things out I notice some of the python
> warnings go away.  I'm wondering if that's actually where the posix
> hardcoding begins?  Is there maybe something specific I can grep each
> source file for and remove to clear the posix check to see where things
> stand?

I do apologise, I have allowed you to become mislead as to the extend of
the 'hard coding' of support only for POSIX ACLs.  The attached patch
removes the only deliberate hard coding from git master (I had assumed
this much would be obvious).

Any issues beyond that are either:
 - due to a failure to load the vfsacl module.  At the moment the
default vfs ACL list is set at source3/param/loadparm.c:3358.  This can
be overridden by setting it either on each share or by changing this
line.
 - due to other bugs

The second is why this has been 'hard coded' into provision, that is
that no testing in the AD DC context has been done of a system using
NFSv4 ACLs, and so we simply do not know what the other issues may be.

We do have tests for NFSv4 ACLs in a normal file server, using the
nfs4acl_xattr vfs module, and a ZFS for the AD DC patch would have to
also include tests that run on linux using this emulation, to ensure its
continued operation is validated in 'make test'.

I hope this clarifies things,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/