How to avoid client timeout.(SMB2 ECHO Request)

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 08:31:03 MST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 11:43:25AM +0530, sandeep nag wrote:
>> As Richard mentioned we support only SMB1.
>>
>> I see the entry ' async smb echo handler'  with value yes/no in smb.conf is
>> having* no* effect. That is, When when I capture network packet capture
>> from windows client
>> with 'async smb echo handler' set to 'yes' by blocking the smbd process
>> write request, I am not seeing the reply to client 'Echo Request'  pkt from
>> samba server.
>>
>> What is the test, I can perform to confirm that  'async smb echo handler'
>> is working?
>
> The async smb echo handler was introduced only with Samba
> 3.6.
>
> With best regards,

As I recall, your VFS also already supports AIO, so your problem is
not with read and write operations stalling but metadata operations
stalling.

Be aware that adding a thread to hand off SMB requests to is no easy task.

It might be easier to back-port the ASYNC ECHO handler to 3.5 but I
suspect that it is not an easy task for someone who does not have a
good understanding of the Samba source code.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe