Decomposition and Samba Technical Architecture (follow on from Dan's SambaXP talk)

Mon Jun 30 23:23:35 MDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 10:11:02AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 13:19 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Hi, Andrew!
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 08:08:31PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > > In short, my perspective is that while Samba operates a monolithic build
> > > process and git repo, it is much more 'decomposed (and I dislike that
> > > term)' than you might expect.
> >
> > There's always room for improvement here. See the zlib discussion that
> > recently popped up in another thread here :-)
>
> Indeed.  And I'm keen to hear and decide on specific proposals, because
> I find those tend to be much more interesting and productive than a
> general 'de-compose it' call (which to me is what happens in the compost
> bin with the kitchen scraps).

My main request would be the ability to compile the big
components separately, each only depending on just the
things that it really needs. For me the big ones are

AD DC, smbd fileserver, winbind, smbclient&net

The DC certainly has most requirements, winbind and smbd a
bit less and smbclient certainly needs least. You can for
example get very far with an smbclient binary that does not
support Kerberos, so why bother with a Kerberos library at
all.

Is this specific enough? :-)

Regards,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de