Proposal to remove zlib from the Samba tree.

Mon Jun 30 06:15:54 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 08:01:38AM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> Is this a:
>
> "I don't know if it will be harder so I am scared."
>
> or
>
> "These systems lack zlib, so they are using the samba zlib, and are
> potentially sensitive to how you detect zlib."
>
> There's a big difference.

For me it's neither. In one of the recent mails it was
proposed to make zlib a mandatory external dependency. I
don't see the requirement for a file server to depend on
zlib. I'm 100% sure there are systems out there where zlib
support is not installed. For these systems the mandatory
requirement to have a usable zlib adds an additional step
towards a successful file server installation that I would
like to avoid.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de