Samba build failures on MacOS X

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 00:10:53 MDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 20:48 -0400, Simo wrote:

>> > I think we should continue to try and support MacOS as much as
>> > practical, and I said as much here:
>> > https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/17820#issuecomment-29492227
>> > https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/issues/17820#issuecomment-29502379
>> >
>> > It is unfortunate there is that perception, as the issues appears to
>> > only build issues and while the fork() thing is weird, it seems from the
>> > other discussions that it isn't any more or less broken than it always
>> > has been, but the documentation has been updated.
>>
>> IIRC the fork issue is not just weird, it breaks some fundamental
>> assumptions done by samba. You can probably get a toy build working, but
>> that's all.
>>
>> I am conflicted on whether we should accept patches to make it build
>> knowing it is fundamentally broken (for the file server at leats), or if
>> we should get it to build and then take blame because it doesn't work
>> well.
>
> Yes, I agree this is difficult, and the official man pages makes for
> depressing reading.  Yet the workaround those determined to use MacOS
> use is to build 3.6, which seems to me to be liable for just as much
> trouble.

3.6 isn't much help generally (no SMB2.1/SMB3 support e.g.), but even
worse for my use case, since my use case was simply getting smbclient
built on MacOS (to accelerate large file copy, faster than their
smbfs, and certainly better than their nfs) and the server was not
even the issue - but getting 4.0 or 4.1 smbclient with Volker's perf
improvements was.

--
Thanks,

Steve