Proposal to remove zlib from the Samba tree.

Julien Kerihuel j.kerihuel at openchange.org
Sun Jun 29 09:14:01 MDT 2014

On 29/06/14 10:19, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 08:37 +0100, jelmer at samba.org wrote:
>> I like the idea of removing it and always using the system zlib.
>>
>> Please make sure that the build farm hosts all have zlib installed in a way that Samba can use it.
> It would be very useful to know what systems don't have (and can't
> reasonably get) the needed version of zlib on them, to understand the
> best approach here.
>
> While zlib is 'only' needed for NDR_COMPRESSION, that is in turn used
> for DRSUAPI, which is used in the source3 client as part of net rpc
> samsync, so it isn't easily made an optional dependency.
It is also intensively used in openchange server and mapiproxy to
decompress MAPI buffers in Outlook client requests. If the dependency is
made optional, then we are going to make the life of users building the
samba+openchange stack from sources more difficult while we are aiming
at smooth, nice and out of the box integration with samba.

Moving further, maybe I got it wrong, but I presume such change would
also be propagated to samba packaged versions in Linux distributions and
would be the responsibility of the packager to decide whether or not he
wants to ship a samba package with or without zlib dependency. Therefore
we wouldn't be able to guarantee any longer openchange shall build/work
with one given distribution/version.

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Kerihuel
j.kerihuel at openchange.org
OpenChange Project Founder

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jkerihuel

GPG Fingerprint: 0B55 783D A781 6329 108A  B609 7EF6 FE11 A35F 1F79