Where Samba has come from and where it might be going

John Terpstra john.terpstra.samba at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:54:05 MDT 2014

Andrew and Fellow Team Members,

Many times the assertion has been heard that the most important thing in
life is the journey, not the destination.  I believe we share the
perspective that both are important.

All Samba Team members have contributed to the success we have shared.
 Some have careers that have been significantly enhanced through working on
Samba code with other contributors.  We have learned much about
collaboration.  We have learned (sometimes painfully) the value of peer
review.  We have seen our work put to effective use by millions of users,
many partners, and a good group of partners. Let us not lose sight of the
immense investment of time, money, and energy that has been expended to
enable this success to be shared.

I urge all of us to enthusiastically enable broad adoption of Samba into
the cloud environment - not by changing focus, but by bringing new
contributors onboard.  We should NOT be focused exclusively on partner
engagement, but without partners the journey will take a different course
and may not win expanded opportunities for full-time paid Samba work that
partners offer.  Cloud partners can help the Samba project to grow and
expand.  It's not the only way! It is a way.

My desire is to look back 10 years from now and be able to see the impact
we have continued to have. I hope we will see a history of continued team
growth.  I hope we can continue to do the right things and to avoid
anything that may put this vision at risk.

What is your vision for Samba 10 years from now?

- John T.