Increasing response times for byte range unlock requests.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jun 24 22:30:36 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 07:09:13PM +0530, Hemanth Thummala wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are running samba 3.6.12 stack. And seeing a strange issue where in the
> response time for byte-range unlock requests are increasing when running a
> specific test. Each run response time is growing exponentially.
>
> Script used for the test is:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365204%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.
> Its the second test.
>
> This is basically a multi-thread based byte range lock test where in all
> threads will request for a specific range either exclusively or shared mode
> to access a particular record. All these requests are blocking type(no fail
> immediately flag in request)

One quick question - is the client running
over SMB2 or SMB1 ?

I just went through the SMB1 code very
carefully, and that code removes all
blocking lock records on completion.

I am willing to bet this is less well
tested with SMB2 (this code isn't used
much in real-world applications) and
I think it's possible the blocking lock
record gets left on the queue in the
same completion condition for SMB2.

I'll look some more and confirm tomorrow,
but knowing if your specific test case
is SMB1 or SMB2 would help a lot.

Cheers,

	Jeremy