[Review Request] libwbclient-sssd

Thu Jun 19 06:01:07 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 01:39:47PM +0200, Sumit Bose wrote:
> I think this would work for the pure NSS use case because here the
> interface is synchronous. And iirc we already agreed that this is a good
> idea and we already have a ticket for SSSD to release the related
> components separately https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/2240.

Has any work been started on that? If not, maybe it would be time as part
of this rush to implement the protocol in winbind from scratch? At least
the non-mmap piece looks not too complicated. If sssd has no resources
to spend, maybe someone could re-implement this in Samba proper.

> But for the more important and more demanding samba use case an
> asynchronous interface would be the better choice.  This includes the
> idmapping calls but others like e.g. informations about trusted domains
> (which can be provider by SSSD as well, but I haven't implemented the
> related calls in this version of libwinbind_sssd because SSSD will make
> this data available via a different provider than the NSS provider).

What protocol do you have in mind? Samba already implements
an abundance of RPC-style protocols that are capable of
async requests, maybe we can ride on one of those? The sssd
protocol header seems to have some reserved fields. Use one
of those as a request id field?

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de