Need guidance in understanding code flow when computer user account on AD server is reset

Adarsha S s.adarsha at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 01:49:49 MDT 2014

Hi,

I'm using samba 3.5.1 package.
I need to understand the mechanism of handling success message instead of
Failure in the code flow related to net join.

The normal code flow is as such.

During net join state :

we do old style of net join via net_rpc_perform_oldjoin()
The call goes to rpc_oldjoin_internals() -> trust_pw_change_and_store_it()
-> rpccli_netlogon_set_trust_password() -> rpccli_netlogon_setup_creds()
-> rpccli_netr_ServerReqChallenge()

Here hand shake happens between samba client and AD server [windows 2003 in
my case]

*client   *Server request ->*   server*
       <- Server response[success]

            ServerAuthenticate2 ->
       <- ServerAuthenticate2 response [failure]

So old style net join fails and try for new style net_rpc_join_newstyle()
The new join style succeed and net join succeed.

But when I reset the computer user on AD server[windows 2003 -> under
computers]

*client   *Server request ->*   server*
       <- Server response[success]

            ServerAuthenticate2 ->
       <- ServerAuthenticate2 response [success]

So old style net join succeed.

My question in how to learn the code flow with respect to reset of AD
computer user.

The reason for understanding the code flow is that in my network samba
package is partially installed on the client machine due to memory space
constraint.
Due to this issue , net module is crashing.

The crash happened as soon as I get success in ServerAuthenticate2 response.
So I need to understand which file/library is been missing in the partial
package which is letting for net crash .

Sorry for this lengthy mail.

Thanks,
Adarsha