RPC over HTTP (ncacn_http) implementation for DCERPC client libraries

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Tue Jun 17 06:05:01 MDT 2014

Hi Julien,

> Following our discussion at SambaXP about ncacn_http support addition to
> samba dcerpc client libraries, we have brought the changes we had been
> discussing about. You will find in attachment the patches required to
> enable RPC/HTTP support and have openchange client libraries working
> with Microsoft Exchange 2013.
>
> Zentyal is not retaining any copyright on this code. We are just looking
> forward merging it upstream. If you therefore need any specific
> agreement to be signed or if you need our developer to send a
> developer's certificate of origin, just let us know so we can move forward.

See https://www.samba.org/samba/devel/copyright-policy.html,
if you have remaining questions just ask via contributing at samba.org.

I've have a closer look at the changes in the next days/weeks,
but first I need to understand the protocol a bit more.

- What is the difference between 'rpc proxy' and 'http proxy'?
- What is the relation between rpc proxy and rpc server?
- At which layers may use tls encryption?
- Can I get captures from a ncacn_http sessions:
  1.) without any proxy
     a) captured on the client
     b) captured on the server
  2.) with a rpc proxy
     a) captured on the client
     b) captured on the server
     c) captured on the rpc proxy (client side)
     d) captured on the rpc proxy (server side)
  3.) with a rpc proxy and a http proxy
     a) captured on the client
     b) captured on the server
     c) captured on the rpc proxy (client side)
     d) captured on the rpc proxy (server side)
     e) captured on the http proxy (client side)
     f) captured on the http proxy (server side)

Thanks!
metze