FW: Final GPO Service Video + Code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 5 16:32:48 MDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 13:13 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 10:24:35PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry to say it, because I've felt exactly the same way, but in open
> > source development, the style and presentation of patches is seen,
> > rightly or wrongly, as being far, far more important than their
> > function.
>
> I don't think that is true, at least for Samba (maybe
> for the Linux kernel, but they can afford to be picky :-).
>
> At least for myself, it doesn't matter if a patch has
> the wrong formatting or is submitted in the wrong style
> or presentation, if I want the functionality in Samba
> I'll re-write it myself if neccessary in order to get
> it in :-).

G'Day Jeremy,

Would you be able to help with this?  I know it's not your area, but it
is also a key part of the AD DC suite we are missing, and Garming has
already done a first pass on the tidy-up.  Perhaps it would be great to
at least figure out a plan for getting this in to master.

> I think other people can attest to that.
>
> Now when you are a member of the Team, or if you've
> done enough on Samba that *you're expected to know better*,
> then we can appear to put style and presentation over
> function.
>
> But that's because by not following the style and
> presentation rules that are agreed on by convention,
> you're essentially telling everyone else in the
> project "yeah I know the rules but they don't apply
> to me". In other words you're putting your time
> before everyone elses, which is seen as an anti-social
> act.
>
> As we (now) discuss everything in public, this
> can appear to be intimidating to others as they
> see someone on the Team getting a hard time over
> style in patches, and worry that they will get
> the same treatment.
>
> Trust me - if you're a new contributor and
> you're just trying to get something fixed in
> Samba - you won't.
>
> If you are trying to contribute something
> and you feel badly done to, please feel
> free to complain to me and I'll try and
> fix it (sometimes behind the scenes :-).

Thanks Jeremy,

> > I know, and folks around here can attest to the battles I
> > waged against the 'git style' rules folks wanted me to adhere to.  It
> > took me ages, and a mastery of git rebase, but I now produce changes in
> > a bisect-able patch series of small and self-contained commits.  It
> > takes *ages*, but it also means that when other folks look over my
> > changes (say for example as part of our review process), they can
> > generally say 'I know what that does', to each step at a time.
>
> Yes ! A thousand times this ! That last bit "I know what that does"
> is *invaluable* when reviewing someone elses patches.

:-)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/