Problem running Samba with IPv4 only network

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Jun 5 16:24:26 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 11:40:38PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> The patch looks fine; however, we would fail as well in smbd when IPv6
> disabled in the Linux kernel as we would try to force IPV6_IPV6ONLY in
> source3/lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in() -- HAVE_IPV6 is there but
> the stack is not enabled. There are some corporate security guides which
> mandate disabling IPv6 stack if it is not in use (i.e. ipv6.disable=1
> instead of ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 on Linux kernel cmdline).

Ok, how about the following updated version.

Adds the same logic to smbd. So now we just try
and open sockets on both :: and 0.0.0.0 if HAVE_IPV6
is there. But if the IPv6 stack is present but
disabled we'll still start if we get a working
socket on just IPv4 for all services.

Note this logic is *not* done if bind interfaces only
is set - in that case we expect to be able to bind
explicitly to the listed interfaces and will fail
if we can't bind to any one of them.

Let me know if this works !

Cheers,

	Jeremy.