YouCompleteMe

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Thu Jun 5 07:01:48 MDT 2014

On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 14:37:18 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> On Thursday 05 June 2014 13:58:16 David Disseldorp wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Thu,  5 Jun 2014 13:19:04 +0200 (CEST), Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > > Author: Andreas Schneider <asn at samba.org>
> > > Date:   Wed Apr 2 09:01:41 2014 +0200
> > >
> > >     Add YouCompleteMe config.
> >
> > Would have been good to see this go by the list beforehand...
> >
> > I'm not a fan of seeing developer environment tools, editor modelines,
> > add-ons and other accessories go into the source repo.
>
> Why not? If you don't use it the file will not be loaded at all.

It's added bloat that is not in any way needed to develop, build,
deploy, document, maintain, run or manage the Samba
file/print/authentication servers and clients.

Once it's in the tree it's subject to the same code-review, maintenance
and auditing work-flow that is applied to the rest of the code-base,
inadvertently wasting other people's time.

Finally, it opens the flood gates for all other developer environment
tools and add-ons. Any takers for a cscope database? ;)

> > IMO this kind of
> > cruft should remain on the developers' system - people have differing
> > setups.
>
> This file is for telling the compiler where to find the header files. I don't
> think that you have different include directories inside the samba source
> directory than I have.

We already have a build system to perform this. Surely you can still use
this tool if this file lives outside the Samba code-base.

Cheers, David