third_party (ex-lib_3p) now ready for review.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Jul 26 09:26:04 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:02:23AM -0700, Ira Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:
> > On 23 July 2014 17:20:31 BST, Ira Cooper <ira at samba.org> wrote:

> > >Checks for specific libraries don't belong under buildtools/wafsamba/,
> >
> > >I wasn't a fan of it either... but adding the changes to wscript is
> > >just
> > >ugly and stops us from reusing them properly.
> > I doubt it would be that much code. Zlib is only used by samba itself. For
> > the others, we can just use pkg gonfig. Also, we'll have to do this
> > eventually anyway when we split these libraries off from the main samba
> > repo.
> Any code duplication when it comes to maintaining that type of information
> is asking for trouble, IMHO.  I'd like other people's feedback on this
> issue before I make that type of change that I really tried to avoid.
>
> Also pkg-config is not the only way to detect libraries.  I want to
> maintain the most compatibility we can with the current system, while
> making this change.

The only library for which this is relevant (because it's not just
used by Samba, but by ldb and tdb too) is popt. The detection code for
popt is a single line:

conf.CHECK_BUNDLED_SYSTEM('popt', checkfunctions='poptGetContext', headers='popt.h')

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> - https://jelmer.uk/