third_party (ex-lib_3p) now ready for review.

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Wed Jul 23 11:02:23 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:

> On 23 July 2014 17:20:31 BST, Ira Cooper <ira at samba.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 6:52 AM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
> >wrote:

> >much
> >> the
> >the
> >> name
> >> configure,

> >understandable

> >the last
> >will
> >> help

> >think it
> >review

> >http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/third_party

> >> Comments, in random order:
> >>
> >> Yay for splitting these out!
> >>
> >> How are we going to keep the copy of third_party on the build farm up
> >> to date?
> >>

> >clone and pull the third_party repo is the easiest way.
> There is no git on the build farm hosts, just rsync. This change should be
> accompanied by a change to the build farm to manage the third party repo.

Pardon if I haven't been in the build farm code much.  I'll certainly take
ideas on how to do this cleanly.

> >Checks for specific libraries don't belong under buildtools/wafsamba/,
> >> which is our set of support libraries on top of waf. Please add
> >> these checks in wscript or wscript_third_party or something
> >> like that.
>
> >I wasn't a fan of it either... but adding the changes to wscript is
> >just
> >ugly and stops us from reusing them properly.
> I doubt it would be that much code. Zlib is only used by samba itself. For
> the others, we can just use pkg gonfig. Also, we'll have to do this
> eventually anyway when we split these libraries off from the main samba
> repo.

Any code duplication when it comes to maintaining that type of information
is asking for trouble, IMHO.  I'd like other people's feedback on this
issue before I make that type of change that I really tried to avoid.

Also pkg-config is not the only way to detect libraries.  I want to
maintain the most compatibility we can with the current system, while
making this change.

-Ira