third_party (ex-lib_3p) now ready for review.

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Jul 23 07:52:04 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 01:22:46AM -0700, Ira Cooper wrote:
> The functionality of the patch as far as a "user" is concerned is much the
> same.  But it has been refactored underneath so it has less code
> duplication, and it is prepared for the day when we want to change the name
> of the third_party directory.  (While I haven't plumbed it into configure,
> one could.)
>
> The patchset itself has been broken out into smaller more understandable
> patches.
>
> If you have comments on how to make it better, I'm all ears.
>
> The main thing, you will find me strongly opposed to changing is the last
> commit, removing the libraries, hopefully reading the popt commit will help
> you understand why, along with all the discussions along the way.
>
> I encourage you to see this as a "final draft".  (Or RC1.)  I do think it
> is much more ready to go than when I started, thank you for the review
> comments!  They truly did prove useful.
>
> Trees for review:
>
> Samba:
> http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/third_party
>
> Third party git tree:
> http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/third_party.git;a=summary

Comments, in random order:

Yay for splitting these out!

How are we going to keep the copy of third_party on the build farm up
to date?

The commit message says "remove all third party libraries from the tree", but
there are more.. Please either remove them all, or update the commit message
to mention just those that you are removing. :) I'd propose the latter,
we don't have to do them all at once.

(lib/{ccan, pep8, testtools, subunit, dnspython} are among the others)

Checks for specific libraries don't belong under buildtools/wafsamba/,
which is our set of support libraries on top of waf. Please add
these checks in wscript or wscript_third_party or something
like that.

Cheers,

Jelmer