lib_3p system

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Jul 18 17:24:10 MDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:49:10AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 05:13:53AM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>
> > This will make building Samba from git more painful for anybody who
> > has a system that currently lacks one of these bundled libraries.
> >
> > I can see the value in being able to build without any bundled
> > libraries, mostly for packagers and developers verifying we don't
> > accidentally rely on bundled libraries. It's not worth inconveniencing
> > regular users who are trying to build Samba.
>
> Just a point - I believe there are fewer
> 'regular users who are trying to build Samba' these days.
> Although it's more popular with Samba4 than it
> has been for years, due to the new AD feature.

Yeah, I think so to. I like to think at least part of this is due to the
quality of the packages improving. :-)

> Mostly it's packagers and distros I think.
> This is merely anecdotal data, I don't have
> hard numbers - but I think self-building
> users are a smaller and smaller part of our
> customers these days.

I would be surprised if the majority of people downloading are
packagers of distros. There's only a (couple of?) handful of distros who
do their own packaging. Are we getting less than a hundred
downloads of each tarball release?

Packagers also use wrappers (spec files, debian/rules, emerge files) to
actually invoke configure, etc, so once they have figured out a good
way to build (in this case, without bundled libraries) they can reuse
that for subsequent releases.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--