lib_3p system

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Jul 17 08:00:05 MDT 2014

On 2014-07-17 at 15:45 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:

> >>lib/ is for the first party libraries.

What are second party libraries, btw?

> >It's for both, at least not at the moment.

I think we should have a clear separation, directory-wise,
between libraries/components that we maintain in-tree
and libraries/componentes that we have pulled into the
tree and don't maintain ourselves.

> >If you'd like to change that, and have the third party stuff somewhere
> >else, can we please call that "third_party/" ? "Libraries" is also
> >a misleading name since some of the third party stuff we bundle are
> >things like Python modules.
>
> To be honest, I don't care much about lib/ or not, but _3p was
> drastically non-obvious to me. The subject looked like the patches
> were about a possibly vendor-specific file system or the like
> (storage products like 3par would come to mind).
>
> It's not like the few extra characters cost a lot of bandwidth :)

Same here, I was puzzled about 3p until I read down in the thread. :-)

- I think it should _not_ go under ./lib/ (see above).
- My current vote would be for "./thirdparty/

Cheers - Michael