Removal of zlib, take 2.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 18:21:26 MDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 17:12 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 11:59:41AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> >  - a patch is made like install_python.fns for the build farm, to ensure
> > these hosts get zlib.h:
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=build-farm.git;a=blob;f=install_python.fns;h=d3c4d6445099560ec22f1183a1565b2a4707ebba;hb=master
>
> That looks easy to do - we either upload
> http://zlib.net/zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz to ftp.samba.org
> and pull from there, and then add a similar
> script to configure and build into $HOME/zlib.
>
> If we're going to be adding more of these
> external libs shall we add a new script
> install_needed_libs and add all extra libs
> there ?

Yes.

We should also, for this and for the install_with_python.sh script,
validate the md5sum.  (Simo asked me to do that ages ago, and I've not
got to it yet).

While I don't want to discourage you, Ira's lib_3p branch, taken only to
the point of moving the code, but then additionally blacklisting it from
the tarball, seems less work in the short term, if we are OK with this
code being in git.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/