MIT Krb5 KDC in the AD DC

Guenther Deschner gd at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 10:16:15 MDT 2014

Hi,

On 01/07/14 00:06, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 18:38 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>> On Thursday 19 June 2014 15:03:24 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>>> G'Day Andreas,
>>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>>> I'm just wanting to touch base with you as to how we can
>>> progress your MIT KDC efforts?
>>
>> there were no efforts during my vacation. Günther just rebased
>> the code. We will be back working on this and proposing patches
>> by the end of this week hopefully.
>>
>> We will try to write together what to look at and where we see
>> that we need improvements.
>>
>> We know that what we have isn't perfect and some things are ugly
>> but we know were we need to rewrite code again to make it
>> cleaner.
>>

>> So we will try to bring it in a state it is easy you know what
>> to review and then have an explanation of the code we think is
>> not ready yet.
>>
>> Maybe we can have a chat next week then.
>
> I look forward to it.  I didn't want you feeling that I was
> indifferent to your efforts here, because on the contrary I see
> great benefits from opening Samba's AD DC capability up to
> platforms that can't use our embedded Heimdal, and getting out of
> the Kerberos-library business in the long term.

The current work branch has a bit more then 130 patches right now, so
we would really like to start bringing pieces of it upstream now.

So what we did today was to move out all the krb5 wrapping calls out
of the main branch to a separate branch. Getting this first series of
patches upstream would make it much easier to step forward on this matter.

This new branch now contains most of the prerequisite work to make all
of samba's DC code to compile with both a MIT or a Heimdal kerberos
library in one of the next steps (in particular the krb5 client code
which currently is not compiled at all when using a system MIT
kerberos library).

Some of the commits might read a bit abstract and unrelated when seen
isolated in the new branch. In that case one can always check the
larger wip branch where - when seen in context - the order of commits
explains much better why this and that is needed.

Again: the main wip branch is still this:

https://git.samba.org/?p=gd/samba/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-mit-kdc

while we ask for review of this branch for now:

https://git.samba.org/?p=gd/samba/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-mit-kdc-ok

Andrew, can you start reviewing this ?

Thanks,
Guenther

- --
Günther Deschner                    GPG-ID: 8EE11688
Red Hat                         gdeschner at redhat.com
Samba Team                              gd at samba.org