Git Branch to clean up zlib licensing issues.

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 06:39:39 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:08:47AM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Volker Lendecke <
> Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>
> > wrote:

> > > files,
> > >
> > > ENOBRANCH
> > >
> > > But anything that removes as/400, amiga, os/2 or other
> > > system-specific stuff is highly welcome!
> >

> > http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zlib_removal
>
> Can you explain in a bit more detail how us shipping those
> .obj files in our source tree can cause licensing problems?
> And to whom?

For us in this case: It is noise.

In general, shipping derived files, is an easy way to end up in GPL
violation.  If you have derived files you can't regenerate from their
sources, that is a violation, though

As the original authors, and distributors, they are NOT in violation.  We
could be.

Thanks,

-Ira