Patch to remove zlib.

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 05:07:15 MDT 2014

Hi Ira, Andrew, ...

I think Andrew has written a very valuable mail here.

In short, the yet unanswered main question is:

  What is the motivation to remove these libraries?

And more precisely:
- What would we gain?
- What would we lose?

A few comments:

- I think that, currently, we would lose more than we gain
  for the external libs (zlib, popt, iniparser, ...):
  These are bundled for convenience as options for the more
  exotic systems we still build on.

- For the libs that we produce ourselves (talloc, tdb, tevent, ...),
  I guess the main question is how much more work it would require
  to maintain these in a separate tree. And a very important
  point that Metze has already made deserves repetition:
  A commit to each of these libs is tested much more
  thoroughly by samba's autobuild than by the lib's selftest.

- ctdb is not a library, and the reason to move it into
  the tree was that this is not really an independent project
  yet, the client implementation being scattered across
  samba and ctdb code. So this needs to ripen before
  being reconsidered.

If we decide to remove (some of) those libs, shouldn't we for
convenience for the still supported more exotic platforms
at least create an extra repository (samba-portable or so)
that carries those convenience libs and sort of wraps the
samba repo, including build instructions(system/script)
to produce a samba build on most systems?
Modern Linux distros would get along with only samba core.

Finally let me remind the community of one earlier
rfc discussion to spin off our own libs into
separate repositories: see this thread:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2008-June/059617.html

Cheers - Michael