Removal of zlib, take 2.

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Tue Jul 15 14:12:58 MDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:56:25PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at samba.org>
> wrote:

> http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/zlib_removal

> version.
> > I refreshed the branch, check the new check.
> The checks in the current branch look reasonable to me.

Thanks, I'll model the work done on other libraries on it.

>  > > > I copied the configure check used previously, so it should detect
> > > libraries
> botching
> > > the

> this
> > > fully
> looks
> run,
> > > Does "make test" still pass without zlib installed on the system.
> > I haven't gotten that far, I've been testing on a machine WITH zlib
> without
> > linking against it.
> >
> > Which is why I suspect there's more I need to do.  I need to setup a
> > container to mess up and do the builds etc.
> That's probably the only sensible way of getting a system without zlib
> installed on it. On my system, pretty much everything depends on zlib,
> directly or otherwise.

I've got ways where I should be able to test it.... Provided zlib is not
QUITE as pervasive as I think.

> I still think removing the bundled zlib but at the same time making
> zlib optional doesn't gain us anything useful, and comes with a cost.

I'm in agreement.  Which is why I'm doing this in 2 stages.  Making it a
dependency, and if we can't make zlib conditional, that's another issue.

But I will do my best to make it work.

-Ira