Upgrade from Alpha9 to mainline GIT

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 11 00:31:06 MDT 2014

G'Day,

On Thu, 2014-06-19 at 06:42 -0700, Brian T Marshall wrote:
> I managed to get my Samba upgraded to mainline from Alpha9 over the last
> few days by tweaking database repair scipts.

Are any of those worth putting into dbcheck?

> Problem is there are still
> known issues. msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs entries on my only domain
> controller are invalid and cannot be read by the system. Always throw
> errors on read, can't repair with existing tools. LDAP updates, Local
> LDIF updates and TDB updates all error out. I've tried both from the
> un-upgraded Alpha9 and from the post-upgrade mainline git.
> Read error is:
> ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - could not parse
> <GUID=bca6bb4c-52f6-49d2-9ead-dea7ad588bdd>;CN=Configuration,DC=lothlorien,DC=ca
> in msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs on CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=GALADRIEL,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=lothlorien,DC=ca
> as a 1.2.840.113556.1.4.903 DN
>    File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.5/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
> line 175, in _run
>      return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
>    File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.5/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dbcheck.py",
> line 136, in run
>      controls=controls, attrs=attrs)
>    File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.5/site-packages/samba/dbchecker.py", line
> 130, in check_database
>      error_count += self.check_object(object.dn, attrs=attrs)
>    File
> "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.5/site-packages/samba/dbchecker.py", line
> 1059, in check_object
>      attrs=attrs)
>
> The msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs entries are missing the B:8:00000005: type
> prefix in front of them.

Can you try the attached patches?  We already have a fix for other
errors on msDS-HasInstantiatedNCs, and this just re-uses that work.

The other thing that might help is getting me a alpha9 database to put
into the tree for testing.  Assuming we can automate the fixes you
needed (ie, use your patches), we could add tests to ensure that remains
an option.

It should not be your production one, but if you feel like building one
for the domain release-alpha9.samba.corp and sending me the private dir,
it could be very helpful.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/