Patch to remove zlib.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Jul 9 16:23:27 MDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 09, 2014 at 09:50:36PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 12:46:47PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > Note: To apply it  unxz it then use git am --ignore-whitespace , otherwise
> > you may have issues.  (xz was used to save the list a good bit of space...
> > it's over 500k gzipped.)
> >
> > As far as why: I listened to metze/vl.  I disagree with them.
> >
> > I believe that third party (non Samba Team developed) libraries do not
> > belong in the tree.  They are asking for trouble long term, IMHO.

+1 on this. There have been security vulnerabilities in
zlib in the past, and we're not updating often enough
to make sure we're safe.

> > Consider this patch the first step down the path to cleaning up these
> > libraries.
>
> Please make sure that you can still build the file server,
> winbind and smbclient without zlib around at all.

That shouldn't be too hard - just means making
ndr_push_compression_start() fail I think, and
it's only used in the ndr_drsuapi.c code which
isn't used I think by smbd, winbind and smbclient.

Seems a reasonable request to me !

Jeremy.