Samba 4.2?

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Jul 8 06:51:28 MDT 2014

On 2014-07-08 at 08:01 -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:

> > that
> > >
> > > If we're waiting 512 months, I think we need to re-evaluate our release
> > > plans.
> >
> > Hey, there is a subtle but important difference between
> > 2*9 and 2**9 aka 2^9. ;-)
> >

> Nah.. it's just context sensitive...
>
> In C:

I don't think anybody was writing C here, but rather
using the usual means to express calculations,
anyways:

> 2^9 == 11
> 2*9 == 18 /* what I suspect he wanted. */

And that's also what he wrote...

> 2^^9 ==  #error Won't compile

Nobody wrote that until you just did.

> In mailing list:
>
> 2^9 = 512

That's of course what I meant writing 2^9.

> 2*9 = 18 /* I still suspect he wanted this. */
> 2^^9 = 512
>
> I don't usually expect people to use xor in that statement, but I know I'm
> not everyone.

:-)

Sorry for filling the list with this OT-stuff, but
it is kind of fun and interesting:

I don't seem to be able to relate what you write to
what metze (or I) wrote... I keep getting the impression that
your mailer presents my '*' characters (asterisk)
as '^' (caret).

Confused - Michael

PS: Apart from that, coming back to the original topic,
I like Metze's idea to go forward with 4.2 and possibly
release 4.3 somwhat earlier so that the longer release
period of 4.1->4.3 could be compensated by a shorter one for
4.3, resulting roughly in a 2*9 months (two times nine months...)
period for 4.1->4.3. ;-))