[Patch] New VFS module vfs_fruit

Ralph Böhme rb at sernet.de
Tue Jul 8 03:14:02 MDT 2014

Hi Steve

On Thu, Jul 03, 2014 at 05:23:00PM -0500, Steve French wrote:

> The Linux cifs/smb2/smb3 client will also use the unicode remap
> range for : \ > < * ?

unfortunately it's a different mapping. :/ Apple's SMB client
implements the mapping that was defined by MS for SFM:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q117258>

Iirc the the mapping you use was at least used (if not defined) by MS
for SFU. Thought I bookmarked a MS KB page on this, but couldn't find
it and my Google-fu wasn't able to digg it up too.

So afaict we can only make OS X and Linux SMB client play together
nicely when

1) enabling the SFM mapping as in vfs_fruit (OS X SMB client doesn't
   negotiate UNIX extensions/POSIX pathnames),

2) Linux SMB client in SMB1 mode with POSIX pathnames.

Every other combination will result in filesnames using illegal
characters not being displayed correctly on the other platform.

> and especially for SMB2/SMB3 mounts from Linux I wonder if these
> could be mapped by Samba (or should be mapped)

If we could detect the client type in VFS->connect() we could adjust
the mapping to use either SFM mapping for OS X client or SFU mapping
for Linux SMB2/3 clients.

> and whether the catia module you mention would work for that?

We can implement arbitrary mappings with this module, so yes, that
should work. This is the place where I add the mapping in
vfs_fruit->connect():

<https://github.com/slowfranklin/samba/blob/vfs_fruit/source3/modules/vfs_fruit.c#L1693>

-Ralph

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de,mailto:kontakt@sernet.de