Samba 4.2?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 8 02:46:43 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 21:03 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 12:58 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:13:18PM +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > I presume this was discussed at SambaXP, and I know I've seen a number
> > > of Jeremy's 'must have' features committed recently, so where are we at
> > > with Samba 4.2?
> >
> > same question here. Can we branch now and plan to release in 3 month from
> > now?
>
> I think we should.  There will always be another feature just over the
> horizon, but a feature rushed for 4.2 isn't a good feature to have in
> 4.2.

It's been an interesting and busy time since SambaXP, and much more
seems to be happening now than when I first posted this thread, but I
still think we should branch for 4.2.

CTDB is now waf-built, and the AD DC now has winbindd, the new messaging
system in in source3 and lots of other good things have been merged.
Samba 4.2 will be a release to be proud of, and we should start the road
of getting it to our users.