smbxcals

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jan 30 14:38:00 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 13:13 -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> But that is not a patch ... also, the default acl stuff is probably
> specific to our environment and should be merged with the inheritance
> stuff that was submitted for smbcacls.
>
> Let me see if I can get it to compile on the master branch and submit
> a patch with Partha' signed off by.

I know it means a total rewrite, but I really think that this should be
an extension of the samba-tool ntacl command (a new input/output format)
than a whole new tool.  We don't do new tools well (so at least a net
subcommand, or a mode on smbcacls), but we really shouldn't have more
than one tool to change NT ACLs on local files.

The advantage of samba-tool ntacl is that it is already tested, so
adding new tests for the extra modes should be pretty easy.

If this tool does continue in some form, it should link directly to
libwbclient, not shell via wbinfo, and it should never create files
in /tmp.

Thanks,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/