How do do bulk reviews?

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Jan 28 00:55:06 MST 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:53:54 +0100, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org>
wrote:

> I usually do reviews also of a bigger patchset like this:
>
> 0. look over the whole patchset
> 1. apply the whole patchset to a checkout of master
> 2. check that it compiles and passes make test, etc
> 3. rebase -i origin master and choose "edit" for each commit
> 4. at each commit
>    - look at it thoroughly
>    - maybe (ideally) check it compiles
>    - do "git ci --amend", adding my reviewed-by tag
>
> For adding the reviewed-by, I use the metze's macros for vim
> (see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CodeReview#.7E.2F.vimrc)
> and only type "R" in the editor.
>
> I think it does not harm to touch each commit message
> manually, also checking the message itself.
> IMHO, this is what is required to do serious and not superficial
> reviews.

Sorry, that's just not logical.  :-(

You can do all of the actual review steps in 0, 1, 2, 4 and still add
the "Reviewed-by" tags automatically.  Doing the latter does not
imply that you have missed any of the actual review steps or that you
have done any of them superficially.

peace & happiness,
martin