deadtime has no effect, max smbd procs has no effect

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 11:19:44 MST 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Kartik Vashishta <kartik.unix at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have what we believe to be a design issue with our application
> configuration, leading to:
> deadtime = 0; having no effect - perhaps number of open files is not zero;
> lsof indicates this
> max smbd processess = <some value>; has no  effect, this preplexes us
>
> smbstatus -p
> Samba  version 3.5.10-125.el6
>
> Our normal smbd processes should be less than 10, however they climb well
> beyond the limit in max smbd processes in smb.conf
>
> We are running CentOS 6.3
>
> Any help would be appreciated; any workaround?

Does smbstatus also indicate that those smbds have active tcp
connections. That is, you will have to look at the state of their
connections.

Also, those smbds could be stuck in the file system, and there is a
bug in that version where it does not notice on write that the
connection is gone, and if there is a lot of data in the socket
buffers, the smbds can hang around for a while.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe