[WIP] Fix paths in smb.conf.5 based on dynconfig, store parameter functions in XML

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 10 00:28:05 MST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 17:48 +1300, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> The curious may wish to look at what we have done so far in the param
> area:
>
> This branch makes 'man smb.conf' show the real default path for this
> system, based on ./configure.
> http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/param-default-paths
>
> This in turn allows us to compare with testparm, as well as just being
> more correct even on packaged systems.
>

> This branch stores the function name into the XML so that we can soon
> regenerate the param_functions.c
> http://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/param-metadata
>
> Garming in particular is making a lot of really great progress here!
>
> Andrew Bartlett

See
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/param-types
for the most recent work.  We are close to having the documentation
correct enough to auto-generate from (based on a diff of the results
from the generator script and the existing param_functions.c).

This has been a wild ride, I really look forward to what the next week
brings.  The auto-generation is on-track, but even more importantly, we
are finding and clearly calling out all the special cases.

Another advantage of this work is that should someone wish to re-create
SWAT, the XML documentation will now provide a clear and correct set of
metadata to base that on.