Remove the 'dynconfig' command line options for 4.2 or 4.3?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 7 18:19:59 MST 2014

I'm working with Garming Sam to generate our loadparm system from the
XML documentation, or at the very least to have tests to assert that the
defaults match the documentation.

One potential roadblock to a clean solution here is our dynconfig layer,
in particular the options like --bindir that the source3 binaries have.

Added by James Peach (CC'ed) in 2006, before the --option syntax
existed, these were originally intended to make test harnesses easier to
write.  The dynconfig system itself was added to make it more reliable
to rebuild Samba with different ./configure options in the autoconf
build system.

As such, I would like to discuss removing these for 4.2 or 4.3, or to
understand what the current important use cases are.

The options affected would be:

             --sbindir
             --bindir
             --lmhostsfile
             --libdir
             --modulesdir
             --shlibext
             --lockdir
             --statedir
             --cachedir
             --piddir
             --smb-passwd-file
             --private-dir

We have moved away from dynconfig internally, using lp_set_cmdline()
where possible, and the --option syntax will remain.

That said, if folks feel we need to keep these, then most of them can be
emulated that way also.

Attached is a patch for demonstration just removing these options.

Thanks,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/